We enjoy celebrating the kindness of those who so generously give to The Children’s Center. We hope that learning about those described below will bring you a smile and motivate you to give too!
The Hamden Junior Dragons include us in their events and have made centerpieces and treats to help us celebrate the holidays!
The Probus Club supports us in so many ways! They have provided duffle bags, Bombas socks, and all sorts of donations. We are especially grateful for the picnic they hosted for some of the children and their participation in our Halloween festivities!
Sororities Kappa Delta (Quinnipiac University) and Alpha Kappa Alpha extend their philanthropy to The Children’s Center with both time and money. Kappa Delta raises funds annually that have been used to help remodel a kitchen, create a recording studio and purchase a green house, gazebo and picnic tables.
Burzenski and Company- has helped us organize our vault of historical documents, painted, hosted a scavenger hunt and treated the children to an ice cream truck…twice!
There are 4 ways people tend to give to The Children’s Center.
If your interest is not listed please call Sarah Lockery, 203-248-2116, ext. 283 or email
1. Clothing and activity supplies We gladly accept new clothing and gently used toys, games, puzzles, books and activity supplies for children ages 5 through young adult.
2. Invitations and/or tickets to events We are so grateful to our community friends who have invited us to play flag football, attend BBQs and have given us tickets to the theatre and sporting events. Donations of 2 tickets to several are most appreciated!
3. Sharing a hobby or interest Cooking, art, yoga, exercise, knitting… the list is endless. Our guests have come one time for an hour to several weeks. Let us know your interest!
4. Donation To make a monetary contribution you can donate by clicking on the donation button at the bottom of this page or by check payable to The Children’s Center of Hamden. Mail to Sarah Lockery, 1400 Whitney Ave, Hamden CT 06517. Thank you!
Monetary contributions will be designated as you desire:
• Be a STAR! Our STARS are donors who tell us to use their donation to fund our summer or winter holiday festivities. Summer STARS support recreational and vocational activities that fill the school vacation months with lots of fun. Donations from our winter STARS purchase holiday gifts and fund special holiday celebrations and activities for the children to enjoy. Suggested donation- $100.
• In Tribute or Memoriam donations can recognize professional or educational accomplishments, birthdays, anniversaries, successful ventures, personal achievements, and much more. You can also make a donation in memory of a loved one who has passed away. Please consider sharing a bit about the person you are honoring so that we can celebrate their importance to you.
• Create a Legacy Due to several bequest and contributions The Children’s Center of Hamden has an independent, professionally-managed endowment so we are confident that your legacy gift will be everlasting.
• Legacy gifts have come through estates, charitable remainder trusts or contributions of $10,000 or more.
• Bequeath a charitable gift from your mutual fund, stocks, bonds, CDs, or real estate holdings.
• Name The Children’s Center as a full or partial beneficiary of your pension plan or IRA.
• Name The Children’s Center as the owner or beneficiary of:
• An existing life insurance policy
• A new life insurance policy
• Employer-provided group term life insurance
• Charitable remainder trusts and gift annuities allow you to retain a lifetime stream of income. Consult your financial or legal advisor on these and all other legacy gift options.
• Please consider letting us know that you have included us in your planning so we can talk with you about your interests. Some ideas include:
• Endow a schoolroom or play area at The Children’s Center (which can be named after you or your designee).
• Underwrite the ongoing operating costs of a computer lab, gym, dining common or other Children’s Center program space.
• Unrestricted Contributions that have not been designated for a specific purpose will ensure that our therapy sessions, educational programs, recreational activities, and other key functions will continue without compromise or delay.
• Corporate Sponsorship The fact that we have a 185-year heritage and extremely bright future makes us very proud. Yet with every passing year comes the need to repair, enhance, or expand our campus facilities. By underwriting an improvement, repair, or addition, your corporation can help us keep our property safe and welcoming. From the buildings to the rooms, furnishings to the windows, the roofs to the walkways, and the playing fields to the parking lots… our maintenance and enhancement needs are persistent and can be costly. By becoming a Children’s Center Corporate Sponsor you’ll be giving Connecticut’s children and teens a future to depend on.